Members of any H-Net community are heartily encouraged to volunteer for the H-Net Council's standing committees. Please contact the chair directly.
Committee on Teaching (chaired by the H-Net VP for Teaching & Learning)
From its inception, H-Net has been dedicated to developing the educational potential of the World Wide Web. The Committee on Teaching has three charges:
- To critically evaluate and recommend awards for online teaching and research resources.
- To identify and publicize ways that new technologies be effectively used to enhance the teaching of the humanities and social sciences; to identify possible sources o f funding for teaching and technology projects; and to facilitate cross-institutional instructional projects using new technologies.
- To identify and suggest ways that H-Net as an organization can promote the effective use of new technologies in instruction.
Networks (Editorial Affairs) Committee (chaired by the H-Net VP for Networks)
The Networks Committee is responsible for coordinating the development, oversight, and support of new and existing H-Net networks and for establishing and monitoring support services for editors and subscribers. The committee advises the Council on policies and practices that relate to H-Net subject-area Networks.
Publications Committee (chaired by the H-Net VP for Research & Publications)
All dissemination of information on H-Net's networks and the H-Net Commons platform is a form of publication as well as an aid to research. The purview of the Publications Committee is in two main areas:
- Reviews of books and other publications. In consultation with reviews staff and the networks, the committee will identify where additional review editors are needed and assist in recruiting them. The committee will formulate training and standards guidelines, and enhance the support of review editors through the Web and means.
- The committee has broad responsibility for "matters relating to research and publications." In addition to reviews and other Web content, the committee will advise council on new publishing ventures, both those of H-Net or those envisioned in partnership with other non-profit or commercial entities. The committee may prepare proposals or provide advice to council on proposals from outside the committee.
Nominating Committee (chaired by the H-Net Council President)
This committee, chaired by the President, and composed of the President, Past President, President-Elect and at least two other Executive Council members, is responsible for recruiting and nominating eligible candidates for electoral office in the organization. Typically, the President-Elect will be appointed to then recruit an Elections Committee that then runs the elections process and validates the results that are reported to the Council and all the H-Net editors.
Rules and Procedures Committee (chaired by the H-Net Council President)
This committee, composed of at least four members of the Executive Council as well as the President and Executive Director, ex officio, is responsible for overseeing H-Net's Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Council policies, and other policy documents and for making rules and procedures related policy recommendations to the Executive Council.
Finance Committee (not currently active - chaired by the H-Net Treasurer)
This committee, chaired by the Treasurer, or the President if the Treasurer position is unfilled, and composed of the President, Past President, President-Elect and at least two other Executive Council members, is responsible for overseeing H-Net's finances, including accounting, and for making recommendations on fiscal policy to the Executive Council.