The Folger Shakespeare Library has embarked on a major renovation project. While this work is underway and Folger collections are unavailable for in-person consultation, the Folger Institute is committed to continuing its support of collections-based research, and to providing scholars with the resources they need to pursue and advance their work. The renovation offers the Institute the opportunity to create new kinds of awards and to make fellowships more adaptable. The global pandemic, ongoing at the time of this announcement, requires that adaptability. In 2021-2022, Folger research fellowships will place value on many different forms and phases of scholarly enterprise as well as places to pursue it.
Fellowship awards will be $3,500 to support four continuous weeks of work. The deadline for applications is January 15, 2021. Fellowships may be undertaken between July 2021 and June 2022.
In their applications, scholars should make a strong case for their proposed topic’s importance, its relevance to a field of study broadly supported by the Folger Library’s collections and programs, and the originality and sophistication of its approach. They should also describe the type of work they would like to undertake, with a justification of why and how their research agenda will advance their project.
Applicants are encouraged to make their own best cases to pursue their research. In 2021-2022, travel is not required for Folger Fellowships and will not be the basis of an award for this year. Here are some scenarios an applicant might propose:
- A researcher requests access to select electronic resources or databases while working from home.
- A researcher requests funds to pay for reproduction and permissions fees for images of rare materials.
- A researcher requests support for caregiving while researching or writing.
- A researcher requests support for time to organize notes and images collected during past visits to libraries and archives.
- A researcher notes how fellowship support will relieve them of the need for summer or adjunct teaching.
Apply now online. Deadline for research fellowship applications is January 15, 2021.