Linda Hall Library: Apply Now for 2023-24 Fellowships (Including Virtual Ukraine Fellowship)
Linda Hall Library, 2023-24 Fellowships
The Linda Hall Library is now accepting applications for its 2023-24 fellowship program. These fellowships provide graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and independent scholars in the history of science and related humanities fields with financial support to explore the Library’s outstanding science and engineering collections. Fellows also participate in a dynamic intellectual community alongside in-house experts and scholars from other Kansas City cultural and educational institutions.
The Linda Hall Library holds nearly half a million monographs and more than 43,000 journal titles documenting the history of science and technology from the 15th century to the present. Its collections are exceptionally strong in the engineering disciplines, chemistry, and physics. In addition, the Library boasts extensive resources related to natural history, astronomy, earth science, environmental studies, aeronautics, life science, infrastructure studies, mathematics, and the history of the book.
The Library will once again be offering residential fellowships to support on-site research in Kansas City, as well as virtual fellowships for scholars working remotely using resources from the Library’s digital collections. In either case, applicants may request up to four months of funding at a rate of $3,000 per month for doctoral students and $4,200 per month for postdoctoral researchers.
The Library is also offering several fellowships intended for specific groups of researchers, including:
- The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Postdoctoral Fellowship, which provides nine months of residential funding ($5,000 per month) to a postdoctoral scholar whose research explores the intersection of science and the humanities
- The History of Science and Medicine Fellowship, offered in partnership with the Clendening History of Medicine Library at the University of Kansas Medical Center, which provides one month of residential funding ($3,000 per month) to a doctoral student whose research examines the intersecting histories of science and medicine
- The Pearson Fellowship in Aerospace History, which provides up to two months of residential funding ($4,200 per month) to a postdoctoral scholar studying any aspect of aerospace history
- The Presidential Fellowship in Bibliography, which provides up to four months of residential funding ($4,200 per month) to a postdoctoral scholar whose research focuses on the study of books and manuscripts as physical artifacts
- The Ukraine Fellowship, offered in partnership with the UK-Ukraine Twinning Initiative, which provides up to two months of virtual funding ($5,000 per month) to a Ukrainian doctoral student or postdoctoral scholar whose research would benefit from the Library’s holdings
The Linda Hall Library is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive research environment and encourages members of any groups that have traditionally been underrepresented in academia to apply for fellowship support.
Please share this announcement with graduate students, colleagues, or anyone else who might be interested in the Linda Hall Library’s fellowship program. All application materials are due no later than January 20, 2023. For further information, visit the Fellowships page on our website or e-mail email@example.com.