Introduction: About once a month, we post a list of recently published books and journal articles about the history of disability (somewhat broadly defined). We also include book chapters in new collections, book reviews, dissertations, podcasts, and other materials. A few caveats: (1) your definitions of history and disability may exclude some of these publications and include others; (2) listing here does not constitute a recommendation of the works; and (3) only English-language publications are usually culled but we welcome works in other languages from contributors.
If you have suggestions of works to be featured, please contact the H-Disability editors: Laurel Daen (email@example.com), Lauren MacIvor Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Shubhangi Mehrotra (email@example.com).
- Levasseur, Karine and Stephanie Paterson and Lorna A. Turnbull, eds. Mothering and Welfare: Depriving, Surviving, Thriving. Demeter Press, 2020.
- Virdi, Jaipreet. Hearing Happiness: Deafness Cures in History. University of Chicago Press, 2020.
- Taussig, Rebekah. Sitting Pretty: The View from my Ordinary Resilient Body. Harper One, 2020.
- Kamens, Sarah R. Postcolonialism and (Anti)psychiatry: On Hearing Voices and Ghostwriting.” Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology, vol. 27 no.3, 2020, p. 253-265. Project Muse, doi:10.1353/ppp.2020.0032.
- Yeh, Cathery, et al. “Reimagining inclusive spaces for Mathematics Learning.” The Mathematics Teacher, vol. 113, no. 9, 2020, p. 708-714. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/10.5951/mtlt.2019.0101.
- Skinner, Anthea. “Rolling out the “krip hop army”: depictions of disabled solidarity and resistance in Kounterclockwise’s Whip.” Disability & Society, Sep 2020.
- Smith, Sarah D, et al. “Perspectives on Health Policy from People with Disabilities.” Journal of Disability Policy Studies, Sep 2020.
- Leduc, Amanda. "”Life is too short for Someone Else’s shame”: Why I call myself a disabled writer" Disabilityvisibilityproject.com, Sep 2020.
- McGuire Coreen. "Telephony and Hearing Loss in Interwar Britain" The Disability History Association Podcast. Sep 2020.
- Schnurr, Kevin. “What is Alport Syndrome” Twodisableddudes.com. Sep 2020
Compiled by: Shubhangi Mehrotra, Ph.D.