Language for Photo Usage

If photos or other graphics accompany any article or review to be published by H-Net Journals, you must have permission to use them. The Journal of Festive Studies and all H-Net Journals are isan open access publications, which uses a Creative Commons license.

Please make sure that your photo meets one of the following criteria.

  1. You took the photo and therefore you own it. You give permission for the photo to be printed in JFS under a Creative Commons license.
  2. JFS can also publish photos that exist in the open domain, meaning there are no copyright restrictions. (The European Commission has published this guide explaining the public domain and includes information about Europe and the United States.)
  3. If a photo is available online under a Creative Commons license, we may be able to publish it. Please send along the photo and license for us to evaluate.
  4. If you do not own the photo, you must have the written consent of the owner to publish the photo in JFS under a Creative Commons license.
  5. If you are providing photos that you have taken or own, please note that the Creative Commons license allows these photos to be shared so long as they are not altered, not used for commercial purposes, and attribution is provided.

When submitting photos to accompany your article, please send along information about the origin of the photo and any associated licenses and permissions.