Call for Applications: The Summer Research Laboratory at Illinois
For over forty years, the Summer Research Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has provided scholars from around the world with the opportunity to work in our Library's famous collections in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
We are pleased to announce that we will be holding the Summer Research Laboratory again this year, from June 10 to August 2, 2019. The SRL is open to all scholars with research interests in Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies. Graduate students, academics, independent scholars, librarians, and government employees are encouraged to apply.
About the Program
With hundreds of thousands of volumes in Russian, East European, and Eurasian languages, alongside extensive microfilm collections of rare and archival materials, the University Library at Illinois ranks among the best research collections in the world. The SRL provides scholars with the opportunity to work extensively with these resources, at any stage of their work. Many important books and articles have been written in our collections over the years. Graduate students find a trip to Illinois an excellent way to plan their research and begin work on their dissertations.
The SRL offers scholars the following opportunities:
- Full access to our Library and its physical and electronic collections.
- One on one research consultations with the experienced bibliographers of our Slavic Reference Service.
- Access to scholarly programming and discussion groups on our campus throughout their stay, to help them meet other scholars and learn about new research in progress.
Scholars participating in the Summer Research Laboratory may apply for:
- up to 12 days of dormitory housing on campus;
- travel grants of up to $500 in support of their trip to Urbana-Champaign.
- research stipends
- The SRL is supported by the US Department of State’s Title VIII Program for the Study of Eastern Europe and the Independent States of the Former Soviet Union, which exists to support policy-relevant research on the region.
SRL applicants are also encouraged to consider studying an area language at Indiana University’s Summer Language Workshop, located in nearby Bloomington, IN, immediately before or after their participation in the SRL. Those interested in overseas language study are particularly encouraged to pair SRL participation with an application for an IU Title VIII Portable Fellowship. More information on Indiana’s Title VIII funding opportunities, languages, and the application can be found at the Summer Language Workshop website.
Workshops & Programming
Each year, during the SRL, we host research workshops and training sessions that may be of interest to visitors: please see here for details. This summer, we are hosting the following workshops (please click on the links for more information):
- New Fields for Old: The Revitalization of Political, Diplomatic and Military History and its Implications for Research in Libraries and Archives
- US – Russia Relations – Future
Applications are now open, with the deadline for grant funding being February 11, 2019. REEEC will continue to accept applications for the SRL after the deadline, but they will be at a lower priority for funding.
For further information, please see:
University of Illinois Library: https://www.library.illinois.edu/
University of Illinois: http://illinois.edu/
Visit Champaign County: