Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Associate Director for Research and Publications
H-Net Humanities & Social Sciences Online
Associate Director for Research and Publications
H-Net: Humanities & Social Sciences Online
The Associate Director for Research and Publications (AD-RP) reports to H-Net’s Executive Council and works closely with the Vice President of Research and Publications (VP-RP) to carry out initiatives as directed by the Council and in line with H-Net’s Five-Year Strategic Plan. The AD-RP oversees all aspects of H-Net’s digital publications, including book reviews, podcasts, peer reviewed publications, commissioned essays on the Book Channel, and other research and publications initiatives. The AD-RP ensures that H-Net publications maintain the highest standards of editorial oversight in a fast-paced, collaborative digital environment and facilitates innovation in the use of the H-Net Commons platform to produce and disseminate research via H-Net’s subject-based networks and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
The AD-RP is responsible for:
- Managing H-Net Reviews, including working with H-Net’s Vice President for Research & Publications (VP-RP) to administer H-Net’s Standards and Guidelines for Reviewing, oversee two professional copyeditors, recruit reviews editors, promote the program widely, and supervise student workers on obtaining review copies from publishers and mailing them to reviewers. Within the next year, H-Net will be upgrading the online Reviews Management System, a project on which the AD-RP will have much input.
- Maintaining and growing Peer Reviewed Publications, including dedicated time to working with the Journal of Festive Studies via the OJS (Open Journal Systems) installation, continued work on standards & guidelines, developing a workflow for journals, and working to improve visibility and discoverability through indexes, social media, etc.
- Supporting Podcasts & Podcasting hosted on the Commons and assisting with analytics support for hosts.
- Maintaining H-Net’s book discovery service, the H-Net Book Channel, and its editorial content, including the program of original essays published on the Book Channel and the Feeding the Elephant forum on scholarly communications.
- Participating in wider conversations around scholarly communications and the dissemination of research and publications in digital contexts, representing H-Net to the global community of scholars, students, and scholarly professionals invested in digital scholarly communications.
- Assisting with the hiring, training, and oversight of H-Net’s undergraduate Home Office staff and working closely with the student Books Liaison to manage the book inventory and maintain contact with publishers, review editors, and reviewers.
The incoming AD-RP will have the opportunity to develop new services, grow existing services, and otherwise bring their skills and expertise to improving the H-Net organization.
The position may evolve after consultation between the AD-RP and the Executive Director as new initiatives are added or as organizational restructuring is deemed necessary by the Executive Director and H-Net’s Executive Council.
- Terminal degree (PhD preferred) in any area of the humanities or social sciences or plans to complete within one year of hire, and/or equivalent professional achievements.
- Two or more years of experience in an editorial capacity.
- Two or more years of experience in a supervisory role is desirable.
- Proven leadership and success in the management of complex projects, including backwards planning long-term projects, delegating responsibilities, and motivating others to engage in collaborations to achieve shared goals.
- Capacity for analytical, detailed work, and strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills are required. As are an aptitude for working collaboratively and diplomatically with stakeholders in other geographic and institutional locations, within and outside academia, and at different career stages.
- The ideal candidate should have a strong foundation in the humanities and/or social sciences and commitment to open access, high editorial standards, and global, equitable, and inclusive scholarly communications ecosystem as they will be expected to engage in diverse stakeholders in H-Net’s editorial and user community.
Organization and Values
H-Net: Humanities and Social Sciences Online (H-Net) is an independent, non-profit scholarly association that offers an open academic space for scholars, teachers, advanced students, and related professionals to collaborate and share information. Built around an online system of networks moderated by certified editors, H-Net is uniquely situated to encourage innovation in the digital dissemination of the humanities and social sciences while safeguarding academic best practices. H-Net’s work is guided and informed by our commitment to high standards of scholarly, pedagogical, and professional behavior; a pluralistic and democratic way of decision-making; and principles of Open Access.
H-Net is led by a democratically elected 17-member Executive Council and the Home Office Directorate who are responsible for carrying out the Council’s directives. The AD-RP works closely with the elected Vice President for Research and Publications and as part of the home office staff, which includes the Executive Director, Systems Administrator, and various undergraduate and graduate student staff. The AD-RP reports directly to H-Net’s Executive Director who handles annual reviews and other HR-related tasks in so far as they apply to the AD-RP. The AD-RP position is classified as an Academic Specialist – Outreach position by Michigan State University, H-Net’s host.
Many aspects of this position can be achieved from home; presence in the office is expected at least one day per week, contingent on the university’s public health guidelines.
Salary / Benefits Information
- Salary - $47,000 - $50,0000 based on experience and qualifications
- Health Benefits and Retirement Plan Included
Required Application Materials
- Letter of interest
- Resume or CV
- Two References
Equal Employment Opportunity / Disabilities Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accomodation.
Apply directly at Careers@MSU here (or search job posting #758923):
This is a 12 month renewable contract. Review of applications begins on February 1, 2022 and closes when the position is filled.
To submit YOUR job posting, please visit the H-Net Job Guide: https://www.h-net.org/jobs
Featured jobs receive an added boost on H-Announce and H-Net’s social media channels.
If you have question please contact:
Dr. Jesse Draper
Interim Executive Director
H-Net: Humanities and Social Sciences Online