The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center and the Slavic Reference Service at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are pleased to remind you of the call for applications to the 50th annual Summer Research Laboratory (SRL). The program will take place June 12 - August 4, 2023. Funded in part by the U.S. Department of State's Title VIII Program, the SRL program provides research support for graduate and post-graduate level research on Central and East Europe and the Independent States of the former Soviet Union.
We will provide support for both in-person and virtual associateships for scholars to conduct summer research concerning all aspects of Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies. Please note that the majority of Associateships will be in-person.
The program is open to a wide range of researchers, including advanced graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, faculty, independent scholars, professionals in government and nongovernmental organizations as well as library science.
The priority application deadline is March 3, 2023.
Awarded on a competitive basis, SRL support will include:
- Designation as a REEEC Summer Research Laboratory Associate.
- Research support for general queries throughout the Summer and beyond.
- Access to digital and database collections of our Library for an extended period.
- A free of charge duplication service for University of Illinois Library materials, restricted to 20 pages per request and subject to copyright restrictions.
- Thematic and skill-building workshop events as well as opportunities to present and discuss works in progress.
- Associates may apply for personalized bibliographic sessions with SRS (priority given to graduate students and early career scholars).
Applicants who are U.S. citizens and who are conducting policy-relevant research may apply for a Title VIII Research Award to support their associateships (in-person or virtual). These research awards provide:
For in-person associates, a housing award furnishing accommodation on campus for up to 9 nights at the shared rate, travel support of up to $600 to offset transportation costs to and from Urbana-Champaign, and a research stipend of $1000 in support of their work.
For virtual associates, a research stipend of $500 in support of their work.
Limited competitive funding may be available for international scholars for travel support.
Featured workshops this summer include:
- Language Learning and Language Competencies for Field Research in Eurasian Studies (June 15-16, 2023)
- Sovereignty and National Security in the Post-Soviet Space (June 19-20, 2023)
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://reeec.illinois.edu/research/summer-research-laboratory.