The Michael Henry Heim Prize in Collegial Translation
The MICHAEL HEIM PRIZE IN COLLEGIAL TRANSLATION is awarded for exemplary translations of journal articles from East European languages into English. Prize winners are announced at the annual conventions of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, usually held in November. To be considered in a given year, please submit your entry by October 1. The prize is sponsored by East European Politics & Societies and Cultures (EEPS), which will publish the winning article.
Prize: $500 and publication in EEPS
Submissions: to email@example.com
Prize announcement: November 2017 at the Convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, And Eurasian Studies
Collegial translation: A translation by a colleague from a relevant discipline, rather than by a professional translator outside the author’s field
- The translation cannot have been published previously.
- The translation must be from an East European language as defined by the geographic ambit of EEPS. Translations from German, Turkish, and Russian are not eligible.
- Articles should fall within the social sciences and the humanities.
- The subject matter and approach should be suitable for publication as an EEPS article.
- Translations of journalism, blogs, or other brief pieces do not qualify.
- Scholarly significance of the article
- The quality of the translation
- The translation’s contribution to scholarly communication across linguistic communities
- The original article
- Your translation
- A brief abstract (in English)
- Your bio or CV
- A translator’s introduction, stating why the original is important and, as appropriate, whether any aspect of the text required special attention from the translator (e.g., key concepts), with an explanation of the solution chosen.
In Guidelines for the Translation of Social Science Texts (www.acls.org/programs/sstp) Michael Heim encouraged scholars to translate their colleagues’ work to make it more widely available. Although Heim was a renowned literary translator, he was convinced that the best translator of a scholarly text is a colleague in a relevant discipline who has acquired facility in translation, rather than a professional translator who is unfamiliar with the discipline’s concepts, contexts, and controversies.
This prize supports Michael Heim’s vision.
EEPS is an international, interdisciplinary journal for the examination of critical issues related to Eastern Europe. Its geographical scope is the area between Germany and Russia including the Baltic region and the Balkans.
EEPS IS SPONSORED BY THE AMERICAN COUNCIL OF LEARNED SOCIETIES (www.acls.org).