The ‚Research Center Hamburg’s (post-)colonial legacy/Hamburg and early Globalization’ offers virtual fellowships for works in the arts or humanities on the topic “Global Memories of German Colonialism”. Funded by the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius, the fellowships will be conducted as project contracts on contributions in the field of Global Memories of Germany’s (post-)colonial entanglements and its role in European Expansion. We therefore primarily invite citizens or residents of the successor states of the former German colonies as well as researchers or artists working on similar topics with a connection to Germany in other countries of the Global South to apply with a project proposal of their choosing.
- Qualifications in the arts or humanities relevant to the topic
- A proposal with a defined scope, on which the contracted work will be based. Researchers can propose, among others, articles, essays or source documentation, artists for example – based on their main medium – literary texts, photography, audio or video recordings
- First publishing rights of all contracted works from the program will be transferred to the research center. Contributions which will not be published by the research center can be published elsewhere under creative commons licenses.
- Language skills in English and/or German
- The project does not require full time dedication. We therefore explicitly invite participation from positions such as university faculty, museum staff or doctoral students.
- A contract covering the production of work relevant to the project (German ‘Werkvertrag’) up to 1500€ (pre local taxes&fees)
- Project-specific research support and guidance
- The possibility to collectively publish the finished works, digitally or in print
- A detailed proposal for the artistic or research project (max. 5000 characters incl. spaces + max. 1 page of research literature) with an abstract (max. additional 1000 characters incl. spaces)
- A CV
- Degree certificates documenting qualifications in research or arts (digital copies)
- A list of publications, talks, presentations, exhibitions etc.
- Contact information of two references, preferably situated in public institutions like universities or museums and/or familiar with the research center
Project Management: Prof. Dr. Jürgen Zimmerer. For questions, please contact the project cluster’s team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send applications digitally by March 31, 2021 in a single pdf file with reference to ‚Global Memories of German Colonialism‘ to email@example.com
An international advisory board of former scholarship recipients will be consulted for the selection of the projects which receive funding.
Applicants will be notified by April 30. The projects itself will be due at the latest on September 30, 2021.