J.A. ATANDA PRIZE FOR THE BEST ESSAY ON THE YORUBA: SHORTLIST
The Editors of Yoruba Studies Review have chosen the penultimate list for the 2020 J.A. Atanda Prize. The $500 prize celebrates the legacy of Professor Atanda to the study of Yoruba history. Joseph Adebowale Atanda was a passionate historian who dedicated his scholarship to the historiography of Africa, especially that of the Yoruba. Popular among his publications are The New Oyo Empire: Indirect Rule and Change in Western Nigeria, 1894-1934; An Introduction to Yoruba History; and Baptist Churches in Nigeria: Accounts of Their Foundation and Growth. More than two decades after his demise, his scholarship remains relevant, and increasingly so. The J. A. Atanda Prize represents a solid and remarkable platform for the promotion and further development of Yoruba Studies.
The editors of Yoruba Studies Review have chosen the following eight essays according to a professional and rigorous set of guidelines covering data quality, originality, and contributions to knowledge:
1. Ademola Dasylva “Glocalization of Yoruba ọmọlúwàbí ideology,” 1.1 Fall 2016.
2. Ayodeji Olukoju “Making Sense of the Yoruba Littoral,” 2.1, Fall 2017
3. Duro Adeleke and Adeola Mobolaji “Àrífàyọ Ìmọ̀ Abínibí nínú Oríkì orílẹ̀ Mẹ́tàdínlọ́gbọ̀n tí Adébóyè Babalọlá kọ,” 1.2, Spring 2017.
4. Oluwole Famule “Èdè Àyàn: The Language of Àyan in Yoruba Art and Ritual of Egungun,” 2.2, Spring 2018
5. Stephen Toyin Ogundipe “The Transition from Yoruba Metaphysics to Islamic Aesthetics in Olanrewaju Adepoju’s Poetry,” 2.2, Spring 2018
6. Adeshina Afolayan “Faleti’s Philosophical Sensibility,” 3.2, Spring 2019
7. Philip Ademola Olayoku “Yoruba-Chinese Ethical Intersectionality: Towards a Community of Shared Future in Afro-Asian Diasporic Spaces,” 4.1, Fall 2019
8. Michael Oladejo Afolayan “Welcome to the White Man’s World: An English Translation of Isaac Oluwole Delano’s Historical Novel, AiyéD’Aiyé Òyìnbó,” 4.2, Spring 2020.
The short-listed essays will be evaluated by the jury for the final determination of the winner to be announced in October 2020.
2020 JURY MEMBERS
Chair: Professor Akinloye Ojo, University of Georgia
Members: Professor Segun Ogungbemi, Independent Scholar
Dr. Bose Afolayan, University of Lagos
Secretary to the Jury: Kaosarat Aina, University of Ibadan