The Center for Judaic and Holocaust Studies at Youngstown State University proudly calls your attention to this conference. We will be sponsoring a Jewish-studies panel and providing travel grants to selected participants. We invite proposals.
Robert W. Reeder I Symposium: Transportation, Movement, and Mobility
October 27-28, 2022
The History Program at Youngstown State University invites proposals for the 2022 Robert W. Reeder I Symposium: Transportation, Movement, and Mobility.
This symposium seeks to bring together a variety of emerging and established scholars whose work investigates the themes of transportation, movement, and mobility in U.S. history. Proposals from all eras and fields relative to U.S. history are welcome. We will give due consideration to all proposals submitted, whether from faculty, graduate students, independent scholars, or undergraduate students. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Transportation (modes, infrastructure, engineering, fuel, power)
- Railroads, automobiles
- Maritime and water transportation, canals
- Aviation and aerospace
- Exploration and navigation
- Public transportation (segregation)
- Migrations, forced migrations, diasporas
- Slave trade (international/domestic)
- Pioneers, frontiers, borderlands
- Expansion, colonialism
- Depopulation, suburbanization, urban decay
- Travel narratives and literature
- Tourism and leisure
- Communication and news
- Covert networks
- Military strategies and maneuvers
- Contagion and contamination
We especially invite paper and panel proposals related to Jewish studies for a panel sponsored by the YSU Center for Judaic and Holocaust Studies. Accepted participants (a maximum of 4) will each receive a travel grant of $500.00. Funds will be awarded by mail after the conclusion of the conference.
We invite proposals for individual papers and for panels.
- Individual papers: send a proposal as a .doc or .pdf attachment containing a title, 200 word abstract, contact information, and brief resume/CV.
- Panels: send a proposal as a .doc or .pdf attachment containing a panel title, 200 word abstract for each paper including titles, contact information for each presenter, brief resumes/CVS, and a suggested commentator.
- Please email your proposals with the subject line “Reeder Symposium” to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2022.
Presentations should be no more than 15 min in length.
Through the Robert W. Reeder I and Charles Darling Memorial Endowments and the YSU Center for Judaic and Holocaust Studies, we are pleased to offer a number of travel grants in conjunction with the symposium. Find out more here. Funds will be awarded by mail after the conclusion of the conference.
Sponsored by Youngstown State University & The Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor, Youngstown, Ohio