The YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, a growing educational and cultural organization with the world’s foremost archives and library devoted to the history and culture of East European Jewry seeks an Archival Researcher to join the project team for Laughter Is Healthy: The History of Jews and Comedy in America, the latest online course in YIVO’s Shine Online Educational Series. This is a part-time, six-month in-person position based at YIVO’s headquarters in New York City.
- Research archival material related to comedy in the YIVO Archives
- Research audio/visual material in YIVO’s Archives and other collections
- Work with YIVO’s team to compile, categorize, and contextualize research on the topic of Jewish comedy and comedians
- Research usage rights and permissions for relevant audio/visual material
- Write text to accompany archival objects in online course lessons
- Experience researching in an archive
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently on project’s tasks
- Strong writing skills desired
- An interest in using archival materials to construct narratives for a broad audience
- MA/PhD candidate preferred
- Interest in Jewish comedy preferred
- Working knowledge of Yiddish, Hebrew, Russian, or Polish preferred
To apply, please email a cover letter and CV to Ben Kaplan, Director of Education, at email@example.com. Please include Archival Researcher in the subject heading of the email.