Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Director of Jewish Life
The Director of Jewish Life builds inclusive and dynamic Jewish community in the context of a diverse campus, inspiring students to explore the many dimensions of Jewish identity and belonging. As a member of the Division of Inclusive Excellence, the Director is a key campus leader on matters of diversity, inclusion, and interfaith relations, reporting to the Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer. Teaching courses related to Jewish and Israel Studies is an optional part of the position. The Director also cooperates with the Office of Admissions in recruiting Jewish students and relates to alumni, donors, and external constituencies as appropriate.
• Coordinate programming (guest speakers, lectures, community leaders) and community dialogues (open forums, town hall meetings) intended to foster a climate of respect and civility and enhance community relationships, collaborating with the academic/student life partners.
• Support student leaders in cultivating peer relationships and in developing exciting and innovative social, cultural, education, public service, and religious/spiritual programs that energize Jewish life on campus. The director also will maintain a student staff – including peer outreach through the Student Engagement staff – which will work to facilitate a successful and vibrant Jewish Life experience.
• Work directly with Hillel, the Jewish student club, to facilitate and support Jewish Life activities, including serving as the club advisor and mentor; seek opportunities to grow and develop the skills of the Hillel board, including through the Hagshama Leadership Fellowship, which provides leadership development training for the President and Vice-President of the Hillel board.
• Support Center for Diversity & Inclusion operations to include programing and support for students from historically marginalized populations.
• Assesses programs and services, tracking student engagement and develops initiatives for the systematic and continuous improvement of departmental practices in the areas of data tracking.
• Maintains an up-to-date understanding of national best practices and literature on college student engagement, student inclusivity and belonging, and community well-being and retention.
• Actively work with Hillel International to achieve best practices and implement programs that strengthen Jewish Life at Susquehanna.
• Collaborate with the Office of Admissions as appropriate in recruiting Jewish students.
• Collaborate with the Office of Advancement as appropriate to maximize the resources available to support and expand Jewish Life on campus.
• Cultivate strong relationships with the local synagogue and its rabbi, facilitating student participation in the life of the synagogue when desired and cooperating with the rabbi when appropriate for Shabbat services on campus and the celebration of the High Holidays, facilitating student participation in synagogue celebrations.
• Provide leadership in the marketing, public relations, and promotional activities attendant to Jewish Life on campus.
• Serve as a bias incident investigator when needed
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s or advanced degree in Jewish Education, Jewish Studies, Jewish History or other relevant field is preferred and required for teaching to be an option.
1-3 years professional experience in Jewish, experiential, or higher education.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Deep knowledge of Jewish tradition and the diversity of Jewish practice are essential. Knowledge and ability to use Personal computer, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook. Important skills include interpersonal skills to build strong relationships with Jewish and non-Jewish students, co-workers and other stakeholders; use of social media as an effective tool for communication and community building; ability to set priorities, advocate team concepts and work collaboratively with students, faculty and staff.
To submit YOUR job posting, please visit the H-Net Job Guide:
Featured jobs receive an added boost on H-Announce and H-Net’s social media channels.
"Jobs at Susquehanna," https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/2410