Ramaz Upper School
High School History and Humanities Teacher
The Ramaz Upper School, a Modern Orthodox Jewish day school on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, seeks a full-time History and Humanities teacher. The core responsibility will be to teach in our three-year world history sequence (which incorporates American history) as well as contribute history and humanities elective courses. Candidates who complement current strengths in ancient and modern Middle Eastern history and modern European history and/or have backgrounds in economic history, art history, history of science, history of religion or the history of philosophy are particularly encouraged to apply. Ability to develop interdisciplinary courses with a Judaic Studies component is a plus.
Our ideal candidate would be a dynamic pedagogue committed to guiding the intellectual growth of young people both in the classroom and beyond. We seek someone with broad scholarly training—and even broader curiosity to continuously expand their areas of teaching competence—who is committed to the traditional values of humanistic education. Experience and demonstrated success teaching discussion-based seminar style courses is highly desirable.
- Teach five year-long courses (three preps)
- Collaborate on curriculum design, assessments, and teaching methods
- Attend meetings and required community events during and after the school day
- Organize and chaperone after school outings to cultural venues in the city
- Serve as a student advisor
- Enjoys working with young adults
- Approaches work with positivity, energy, empathy, and a sense of humor
- Demonstrates pedagogical skill
- Possesses a broad knowledge of world history and the humanities
- Possesses familiarity with Jewish history or a willingness to learn
- Values collaboration and works well with others
- Contributes beyond the classroom
- Possesses an advanced degree in history or a related field (PhD preferred)
- Has experience teaching high school or college students
To apply, please send a CV, teaching portfolio, and cover letter outlining your interest teaching high school history and humanities to Aaron Tugendhaft, History Department Chair, at email@example.com and to Ann Chechik, Office Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.