Historic Southwest DC house sold

Matthew Gilmore's picture

The Thomas Law House

"Built in the Federal style in 1794, the Law House is listed on the DC Inventory ofHistoric Sites and the National Register ofHistoric Places. Its form is rectangular, with a longer north-south axis, and it stands three stories tall above a raised basement. Its west fac;ade has five bays and its south three. Its brick walls are divided horizontally by stone belt courses above and below the raised first story. Its main entrance, accessed by curving steps with iron railings, is on the west fac;ade.

The Law House has horizontally symmetrical fenestration patterns within its south and west facades, while the pattern on its north fayade is irregular. Except for the basement level, all windows have stone sills. Stone impost bands and arches outline the first floor window recesses, as well as the west fac;ade entrance. The second and third story windows have stone lintels with keystones. The first floor windows are arched, the second story windows are rectangles, and the third story windows are smaller rectangles that are nearly square/.

Brick chimneys are the Law House's dominant roofline feature. At the northwest comer ofthe standing seam tin roof is a rectangular chimney, and at the east is a chimney whose double stacks are linked by a semicircular arch. The west end ofthe roof is hipped, while the east is a vertical slope.

The Law House has two additions. A six-bay, one- and one-half story, gable-roofed, brick addition connects to the house by a one story passageway to the north. A single-story brick wing with flat roof extends east from the north end ofthis addition. These additions are first visible on Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps from the first half ofthe twentieth century.

The interior ofthe Law House was presumably altered during its use as a hotel during the nineteenth century and a medical clinic during the early twentieth. It was further altered during its renovation as a community center during the 1960s, when its exterior was painted beige to harmonize with the complex's new structures. Changes to its historic exterior are documented on the National Register of Historic Places nomination form for the property dated August 14, 1973."

(from Tiber Island Historic Nomination: https://planning.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/op/publication/attachments/Tiber%2520Island.pdf )

National Register listing: https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/8c90f585-23e4-4e35-bd72-54b9631349e8/

Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/where-we-live/wp/2017/07/14/in-southwest-d-c-a-federal-style-brick-house-is-a-rare-slice-of-early-washington/?utm_term=.e086b3db5613

WBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/07/12/historic-honeymoon-house-to-martha-washington-s.html

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/real-estate/usa/dc/washington/ivy-city/homes-for-sale/1252-6th-street-southwest/1992-4646423

Greenleaf and Law in the Federal City
 

https://archive.org/stream/greenleafandlaw01clargoog#page/n224/mode/2up/search/residence

HABS documentation: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/dc0220/

 

It received its bronze marker as part of the National Capital Sesquicentennial:

http://intowner.com/2017/02/02/sesqui-what-truman-throws-a-party-for-washington/

http://intowner.com/2016/12/25/here-to-feast-on-historic-places-first-stirrings-of-historic-preservation-in-washington/