Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
The area welcomes paper submissions from graduate students, faculty, collectors, writers, and independent researchers of popular culture. The deadline for proposals is here . You can submit proposals
The Race and Ethnicity area considers the intersection of race and/or ethnicity with popular culture. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Constructions and depictions/appropriation of race in particular genres (film, comics, music, etc.) or mass culture and social media.
- The intersections of race, ethnicity, popular culture and academia, including pedagogy.
- "Whitewashing" and other approaches to racialization in book-to-scree adaptations
- Race and ethnicity in public discourse (Black Lives Matter, immigration, Islamophobia, anti Asian violence, Covid-19).
- The intersections with and meanings of race and ethnicity in constructions of nation/nationalism, "post racial" culture, neoliberalism, globalization and capitalism
Area chair: Enrique Morales-Diaz, Ph.D.
Westfield State University