Application Deadline Extended to June 15. Apply today!
2017 IRAAS Summer Institute: “Black Activist New York"
The Columbia University Institute for Research in African-American Studies (IRAAS) has extended the application period for its 2017 Summer Teachers and Scholars Institute (STSI) to June 15, 2017. We encourage H-Net members to apply for our one week (Sunday July 9 and Friday July 14, 2017, Institute.
July 2017 marks the 100th anniversary of Harlem’s historic “Silent Parade,” when over 10,000 Black New Yorkers marched in protest of anti-black lynching and other forms of violence. In commemoration of that event and the larger movement it represented, and in recognition of the historical trajectory from it to the current moment and movement for Black Lives, the theme for the 2017 Summer Teachers and Scholars Institute (STSI) will be “Black Activist New York."
This Summer Institute offers what few others are able:
- The opportunity to study how New York has been and continues to be a center of people of color feminist and queer political organization, African-American public health activism (HIV/AIDS and environmental justice organizations), and policing reform, among others
- Attend seminars facilitated by today’s leading scholars in African-American Studies and Activism
- Visit and tour historical landmarks and institutions around the city
- Receive instruction in the latest research methods and,
- Enjoy afternoon and evening cultural excursions throughout New York City.
- Past, Present, and Futures of Black Activism
- Educating Harlem: Activism for Equality in the Mid-20th Century
- Black LGBTQ Activism and Memory in New York City, 1969-1996
- Using Oral Histories to (Re)Claim Spaces and,
- Health/Medical Rights.
The fee for the STSI is $1,800 and a limited number of partial fellowships are available.Please go to www.columbiastsi.com for more information or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.