MASTER OF ARTS IN MEDIA STUDIES
New York City
Accepting Applications for the 2023-24 Academic Year
The Department of Humanities and Media Studies at Pratt Institute invites applications to its Master of Arts in Media Studies program. Pratt Institute leads in art and design innovation and education, and the Media Studies program serves as a hub for the investigation of the media’s connection to the creative industries in New York City and beyond. Our faculty engage in cutting-edge research in online media economies, sound arts, global cinema, fashion, labor, and social justice.
Media Studies at Pratt gives students the opportunity to take courses emphasizing the study of sound, music, film, television, social media, video games, fashion, and other cultural forms that mediate our relationships to ourselves, to others, and to the world. Students interpret and evaluate media images, messages, technologies, cultures, and practices through critical frameworks that centralize issues of power, inequality, and difference. Students and faculty investigate the significant social, political, cultural, economic, and aesthetic questions of our time as we read contemporary theory, rethink media forms, and revisit relevant archives to consider the ways in which gender and sexuality, race, nation, and power as well as technology mediate our understandings and experiences of the world we inhabit.
The Master of Arts in Media Studies graduate program consists of 30 credits, taken over three semesters, and a thesis, which is finished in the fourth. The coursework invites and requires students to practice both critical analysis of media and basic media-making skills.
With an MA in Media Studies from Pratt Institute, graduates are able to:
- work as media professionals comfortable in a cinema, arts, and design environment
- work across media platforms serving public and private organizations dedicated to promoting the arts, humanities, education, culture, and social justice
- work as writers, curators, administrators, critics, social media specialists, or in other capacities in the world of media arts
- situate their creative practice as artists, designers, filmmakers, writers, or arts educators within the contemporary media environment and communicate more effectively with their peers and the public about their artistic practice
- pursue a PhD in a range of fields, including cinema, media, cultural studies, race and gender studies, queer studies, and related arts and humanities disciplines.
Generous financial assistance and internship opportunities are available.
For more the Master of Arts in Media Studies, contact the program coordinator Dr. Mendi Obadike firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Gina Marchetti, Chair of the Department of Humanities and Media Studies, at email@example.com
For information on applying to our graduate programs, go to www.pratt.edu/graduate-admissions/apply/.
Follow the Graduate Program in Media Studies at Pratt Institute on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PrattGradMediaStudies/