Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Third Annual Global Souths Conference
(formerly, the Deep South in the Global South Conference)
April 4-6, 2019
University of Louisiana - Lafayette
Whether in the American or global context, Souths are the site of cheap labor, once exploited agriculturally and then industrially for the profit of the colonizing and industrialized and technologically advanced Norths.
--James L. Peacock, Carla Jones, and Catherine Brooks, "Gatoka Drive"
The American Souths in a Global World (2005)
The Global Souths conference is a three-day, interdisciplinary conference that aims to explore the connections between the U. S. South and the Global South. The South is more than a place. It is a point of connection, a nexus of ideas transcending both geographical and ideological boundaries. We invite all scholars and graduate students in the arts, humanities, and social sciences to submit critical and creative proposals that explore humanity's interactions with and responses to an increasingly globalized world. Some possible approaches to this conference theme may include but are not limited to the following:
- Space, place, and globalization
- Challenging notions of "Global" Norths/Souths
- The language of a global identity
- Conceptualizations of passing, ethinic hybridity
- Interethnic influences and cultural appropriations
- Global feminisms; women and nation building
- Social Media
- War and Revolution
- Urban development and gentrification
- Imperialism and subalternity
- Commodification of place: The World Tourism Organization and poverty
- World Health Organization, global hysteria, epidemics
- Labor politics, NAFTA and the WTO
- Pedagogy for generating or transforming learning
- Environmental sustainability
The conference organizers welcome and encourage complete panel submissions, as well as individual paper abstract submissions. Creative work related to the conference theme is also welcome. The deadline for abstracts is December 31, 2018.
Jeanna Mason, Programming Chair, Global Souths Conference Committee
English Graduate Student Association, University of Louisiana - Lafayette