From H-Net Job Guide https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=50630
Eastern Buddhist Society
Institution Type: Other
Position: Copy Editor
The Eastern Buddhist Society is seeking qualified applicants to fill the position of Managing Editor starting from June 1, 2015. The position entails management of the creation of The Eastern Buddhist at all levels of the production process, from the peer review of submissions, through the copy-editing and proofreading of manuscripts, to the printing of the journal, in cooperation with the General Editor and the Editorial Committee. Administrative work, editorial meetings, and interactions with the printers are conducted in Japanese. Interested applicants with the following qualifications should submit the application materials listed below postmarked before March 31, 2015, via post to: The Eastern Buddhist Society, Otani University, 22 Koyama Kamifusa-cho, Kita-ku, Kyoto-shi 603-8143.
- A PhD degree in Buddhist Studies or a related field completed before or near to June 1, 2015.
- Native-level proficiency in English.
- Excellent academic writing skills.
- Excellent managerial, administrative, and time management skills.
- Experience with editing and proofreading academic work.
- Familiarity with the conventions in the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Near-native proficiency in spoken and written Japanese.
(1) A detailed curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and academic presentations.
(2) A short statement of purpose, including reference to the applicant’s research interests, goals in serving as Managing Editor, and long-term career plans (approximately 1,000 words).
(3) An English-language academic writing sample (an article that has been published in a journal or a chapter of the applicant’s dissertation). The references and reference list should be laid out based on the author-date format set forth in the sixteenth edition of the Chicago Manual of Style. If the article has already been published, please submit a copy of the piece at it appears in the journal along with a copy where the references and reference list have been changed to conform with the Chicago Manual.
(4) Two letters of recommendation from scholars able to evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for the post. (Can be written in either English or Japanese and sent separately from the other application materials.)
The application materials will be reviewed by a selection committee after which interviews will be held at Otani University in Kyoto in early April.
Inquiries should be directed to Michael Conway, Managing Editor, The Eastern Buddhist Society: firstname.lastname@example.org or +81-(0)75-431-4390.
Primary Category: Asian History / Studies
Secondary Categories: East Asian History / Studies
Religious Studies and Theology
South Asian History / Studies
Posting Date: 02/27/2015
Closing Date 03/31/2015