Call For Papers: Asian Cinema Studies Society Conference, June 2019
Papers and panel proposals are invited for the 13th Asian Cinema Studies Society Conference: The Environments of Asian Cinemas. With the support of the Faculty of Fine Arts, Media & Creative Industries at LASALLE College of the Arts, in conjunction with the Asian Cinema Studies Society, the conference is planned for 24–26 June 2019, at LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore.
Participants are invited to present papers on any aspect of Asian cinema, though proposals engaging with the conference theme are encouraged. One key aim here is to seek ways in which Asian cinema studies might engage with the current moment of global environmental crisis. At the same time, however, the conference theme of ‘environments’ is being conceptualized in a broader sense, encompassing not only the material environments of ecocriticism, but also Asian cinema’s represented environments and its various material, cultural and regulatory environments of production, distribution, exhibition and reception.
Possible topics may include, but are by no means limited to, the following areas:
- Ecocriticism and Asian cinemas
- Animal studies and/or plant studies approaches to Asian cinemas
- Environment and representation in Asian film and media
- Asian cinema and the city
- Asian cinema and the rural
- Environmental issues in Asian documentary
- Apocalyptic themes in Asian film
- Ecological implications of Asian film production and/or exhibition
- New technological contexts of Asian film and media
- Changing regulatory frameworks of Asian film and media
- Transnational influences on Asian film production/Asian film business
- Globalization and Asian cinemas
- Regional dynamics of Asian cinemas
- Cultural issues in Asian film
- Censorship issues in Asian film
Please send proposals or enquiries to email@example.com.
For individual paper proposals, send a 200–300 word abstract and be certain to include the title, author name(s), institutional affiliation, mailing address and e-mail contacts, as well as a brief (50–100 word) biography of the contributor. For pre-constituted panel proposals (of three to four papers), be certain to provide a brief description (100 words) of the overall panel along with the individual abstracts and contributor information. Sessions will be 90 minutes in duration, and time limits will be strictly enforced.
The deadline for submission of proposals is 10 December 2018. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by early February 2019.
There will be no conference registration fee per se, but all participants must be members of the Asian Cinema Studies Society, which requires an annual fee of £38. The fee covers one year membership and one volume of two issues of Asian Cinema, and gives access to the society’s executive meeting at the conference.
Selected papers will be published in the peer-reviewed biannual Asian Cinema. Published by Intellect Books (UK), this seminal journal has long been the flagship publication of the Asian Cinema Studies Society.