The Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies (BIAAS) is accepting applications for the Botstiber Fellowship in Austrian-American Studies. The fellowship will be awarded to a scholar or professional who seeks funds for a project that promotes an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria (including Habsburg Austria) in the fields of history, politics, economics, law, cultural studies, and public history. A grant of up to $30,000 will be considered for support for research, travel, salary replacement, or other necessary expenses. Fellowship recipients are encouraged to submit articles produced from fellowship research to be considered for publication in the Institute’s Journal of Austrian-American History.
Fellowship applications must be submitted by March 1, 2019. Applicants will be notified of the results of their applications in June 2019. Fellowships will be distributed before September 1, 2019, with the fellowship award period beginning on September 1, 2019, and ending on August 31, 2020. A final report will be due within ninety days after the completion date of the award period.
Fellowship Application Format
A fellowship proposal shall consist of a one-page proposal summary, a statement of plans, and all required supporting information.
A Proposal Summary (not to exceed one page; download template at botstiber.org)
This should provide the following:
- Title of project
- Name of applicant
- Country of citizenship
- Applicant’s position and institution (if applicable)
- Current and permanent mailing address
- Email address
- Project synopsis (not to exceed 100 words)
- A statement about how this project promotes an understanding of the historical relationship between Austria and the United States (not to exceed 100 words)
- Amount of money requested (in U.S. dollars)
- Amount of sabbatical pay, paid leave of absence, or other sources of financial support expected during the fellowship period
- Proposed start date and end date of project
- A list of sources that have provided funding for this project and the amount they have given
- A list of all other sources that have been solicited to provide funding for this project and the amount requested
- The result or the final product that the applicant is working toward during the grant period (not to exceed 25 words)
- A statement about where the applicant learned of the Botstiber Fellowship
- If the applicant has previously applied for funding from Botstiber, indicate the year of the previous application and whether the proposal was funded
- If the applicant would also like their proposal to be considered for a research grant, in addition to a fellowship, please check the appropriate box on the proposal summary template and provide an adjusted grant proposal budget
Statement of Plans (not to exceed three single-spaced pages):
In no more than three single-spaced pages, please submit a statement of plans for the period for which the fellowship is requested. The applicant should describe the intellectual significance of the proposed project pertaining to Austrian-American studies, including its value to scholars and/or general audiences. The applicant should describe the intended audience and the intended results of the project. The applicant should explain how the results will be disseminated and why such means are appropriate to the subject matter and audience.
- Budget: An itemized budget for the fellowship term (in U.S. dollars; not to exceed one page); note that applicants are requested to provide reasonable and informed estimates for expenses
- CV: A curriculum vitae for the applicant, showing current and past positions, education, awards, honors, publications (including page numbers), and other relevant professional activities and accomplishments (not to exceed 3 pages)
- Bibliography: A bibliography outlining the most important source sets and relevant scholarship on the topic (not to exceed 3 pages)
- Other support: A description of all current support and pending grant and/or fellowship applications related to this project. State the title of the grant or fellowship, source, period covered, amount, and expected notification date. If no other funding for this project is expected or sought, please state this.
- Reference letters: Letters of recommendation specifically addressed the proposed research project (not to exceed 2-3 pages per letter), which may be included with the application or submitted directly by the recommender
Proposals must be in English. The entire proposal, excluding the proposal summary, should not exceed 14 pages. Font size should be no smaller than 11 point. Applications may be submitted by mail or email to the address set forth below on or before March 1, 2019. If you have questions about the application process, you may visit www.botstiber.org to view the frequently asked questions or contact:
Jason Naum Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dietrich W. Botstiber Foundation Telephone: 610-566-3375 ext. 202
200 E. State Street, Suite 306-A Fax: 610-566-3376
Media, Pennsylvania 19063