Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
The National Museum of Asian Art is now accepting applications for the Anne van Biema Fellowship.
This fellowship was established by bequest to promote excellence in research and publication on the Japanese visual arts. Fellowships support research at the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Asian Art in Washington, DC. Research proposals are evaluated in terms of merit, originality, methodology, and potential for significant publication that will advance scholarly and public understanding of the Japanese visual arts. Interdisciplinary proposals with a primary focus on Japanese visual arts will be considered.
The application deadline is April 1, 2023. For the 2023 cycle, we are only accepting applications for up to four months tenures (maximum stipend of $20,000 plus research and travel allowances). Fellows are not required to reside in Washington, DC, for the entire fellowship period.
Notification of awards will be sent by the end of May, and appointments begin between July 1 and December 1 of the same calendar year.
Applications must be submitted in English and must include:
- Application cover sheet (PDF, 40kb)
- Curriculum vitae with contact information and complete list of publications.
- Research proposal consisting of a précis (250 words) and a narrative (maximum length 2,000 words). The proposal should address previous relevant research and published results, the significance of the current project to the field of Japanese art history or related disciplines, methodology, and projected schedule of research and writing.
- Budget for projected research expenses, not to exceed $5,000.
- Two letters of recommendation emailed to AsiaScholarlyProgram@si.edu. Reviewers should comment on the merits of the proposal and the feasibility of the research plan as well as the candidate’s past publication record and potential for original contribution to the field of Japanese art history.
Submit complete applications by email to AsiaScholarlyProgram@si.edu.
Learn more on our website: https://asia.si.edu/research/fellowships-internships/anne-van-biema/
Lizzie Stein, Scholarly Programs and Publications Specialist
National Museum of Asian Art