From the H-Net Job Guide: https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=63557
Singapore Management University, College of Integrative Studies
Tenure-track position (open rank) in Asian Urban Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Full Professor|
The College of Integrative Studies (CIS) at Singapore Management University (SMU) invites applications for one full-time tenure-track position in the area of Asian Urban Studies, broadly construed. We are open to applicants at the Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor levels. Exceptional candidates at the Associate or Full Professor levels will be considered for tenure upon appointment. The CIS offers a suite of programmes including an individualisable major at the undergraduate level, as well as interdisciplinary Masters and Ph.D. programmes in “Asian Urbanisms”.
We are interested in candidates who are trained in Urban Studies, Urban Design/Planning, or Architecture (or in cognate disciplinary or interdisciplinary fields with an urban focus, such as Urban Geography or Development Studies), and are able to anchor the teaching of some of the core courses for our postgraduate programmes in Asian Urbanisms. Examples of such courses include “Urban Studies: Theory and Method” and “Cities in Asia: Planning, Policy and Praxis”. Our preference is for candidates who have demonstrable experience conducting research in and on cities in Asia, and are confident teaching urban theory and/or design/planning at the postgraduate level. Beyond that, we are open to candidates who have broad-based thematic interests that intersect with the urban. These might include, for example, interests in the management of socio-cultural diversity, infrastructure development, sustainability and resilience, urban technology, urbanisation in the Global South, and so on. Candidates who demonstrate evidence of interdisciplinarity in both teaching and research are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should be able to:
● Design and deliver postgraduate core courses on “Urban Studies: Theory and Method” and “Cities in Asia: Planning, Policy and Praxis”
● As necessary, design elective courses that will be delivered as part of the “Asian Urbanisms” Master’s and PhD programmes
● Attract and supervise postgraduate research students
● Contribute to undergraduate teaching for the SMU Core Curriculum, such as in Big Questions, the Cultures of the Modern World, and Technology and Society course baskets, (see https://corecurriculum.smu.edu.sg/core-curriculum)
● Conceptualise and execute high quality research on urban-related issues in Asia, broadly defined
● Participate actively in the research and educational communities at SMU, and contribute to at least one of the university’s three areas of strategic priority: Growth in Asia, Digital Transformation, and Sustainable Living
● Contribute to the dynamic intellectual life of CIS, as well as to interdisciplinary dialogue and exchange with colleagues from other Schools (such Computing and Information Systems, Economics, Law, Business, and Social Sciences)
For faculty on the tenure-track, the teaching load is four courses per year, with a one course reduction for the first pre-tenure contract. Salary and benefits, such as housing allowance and research support, are highly competitive and commensurate with academic experience and level of appointment.
● Ph.D. in either a disciplinary (e.g., Architecture, Anthropology, Geography) or interdisciplinary (e.g., Urban Studies, Urban Planning, Development Studies) field
● A record, or promise, of high-quality research and publication
● A record of excellence in teaching and supervision, ideally at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels
● Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
We invite candidates to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, research statement, contact details of three referees, and two samples of written work, published in English, on the online platform. Applicants should also arrange for three academic references with contact information to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that incomplete applications slow down the recruitment process, and might not be considered as a result.
SMU is committed to fostering diversity and cultivating an inclusive work environment. Applications from women and minorities are particularly encouraged.
Further information about the College of Integrative Studies can be found at www.cis.smu.edu.sg.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a campus visit. We envision interviews and campus visits to take place in October 2022, with the expected start date for the successful candidate being from January 2023 onwards.
Interested applicants, please apply through:
The deadline for applications is August 21, 2022.
COLLEGE OF INTEGRATIVE STUDIES
|Primary Category:||Urban History / Studies|
|Secondary Categories:||Architecture and Architectural History|
Asian History / Studies
South Asian History / Studies
Urban Design and Planning
Southeast Asian History / Studies