Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Call for Papers: Southwest Popular / American Culture Association (SWPACA) - Material Culture and the Built Envorinment
39th Annual Conference, February 7-10, 2018
Hyatt Regency Hotel & Conference Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Proposal submission deadline: October 22, 2017
Proposals for papers and panels are now being accepted for the 39th annual SWPACA conference. One of the nation’s largest interdisciplinary academic conferences, SWPACA offers nearly 70 subject areas, each typically featuring multiple panels. For a full list of subject areas, area descriptions, and Area Chairs, please visit http://southwestpca.org/conference/call-for-papers/
The Material Culture and the Built Environment area explores various ways that we shape and are shaped by man-made environments and objects. Presentations in this area may address any type of architecture or material good. This includes, but is not limited to, the impact of environmental conditions or cultural developments (including social, ideological, political, or technological) on the design of spaces (buildings or landscapes) or products. Topics from any time period or culture are welcomed. Those relating to the U.S. Southwest (architecture in particular) are especially desired, as there is an opportunity for papers in this subcategory to be published in a future issue of the Journal of the Southwest.
- Proposals are welcomed for individual papers, full panels, or roundtable discussions from faculty, graduate students, independent scholars and other experts in an area of the built environment or material culture. This is a great conference for young scholars and those working on topics relating to popular and/or American culture.
- All proposals must be submitted through the conference’s database at http://conference2018.southwestpca.org/
- For details on using the submission database and on the application process in general, please see the Proposal Submission FAQs and Tips page at: http://southwestpca.org/conference/faqs-and-tips/proposal-submission-faqs-and-tips/
- Individual proposals for 15 minute papers must include an abstract of approximately 200-500 words. Including a brief bio in the body of the proposal form is encouraged, but not required.
- For information on how to submit a proposal for a roundtable or a multi-paper panel, please view the above FAQs and Tips page.
- The deadline for submissions is October 22, 2017.
Area Chair: Lisa D. Schrenk, Associate Professor of Architectural History, University of Arizona