Call for Papers
Inaugural Issue of Plant Perspectives: An Interdisciplinary Journal
The Editorial Board of Plant Perspectives is pleased to invite article submissions for its inaugural issue to be published in early 2024. The journal is a new peer-reviewed, open-access forum, grounded in interdisciplinary plant studies, that explores plant–human interactions in all spatial, temporal and cultural contexts. Plant Perspectives encourages new directions and innovative approaches in the study of the sensory, instrumental and affective entanglements between human, vegetal and ecological spheres.
Published by The White Horse Press, Plant Perspectives will be a place where the paths of different discourses cross and their branches intertwine, where scholars and practitioners with an interest in plants can develop and hone new thinking and where – crucially – plants always take centre stage.
We warmly welcome contributions from those working in diverse academic disciplines concerned with plants including anthropology; Black, Latinx and Ethnic studies; gender studies; geography; history; literary studies; philosophy; and social sciences; from those whose work transcends traditional disciplinary classifications or extends towards the natural sciences; and from those outside the academy, for example, garden and forest practitioners, artists, creative writers and activists.
For the inaugural issue, contributions can address a wide variety of subjects within plant studies, including but not limited to:
- art and literature
- capitalism, imperialism and economic botany
- colonialism, postcolonialism and other power asymmetries
- conservation, biodiversity and environmental change
- culture, race, and indigeneity
- film, media and popular culture
- gender and sexuality
- governance, rights and ethics
- heritage, tourism and leisure
- horticulture, agriculture, forestry and arboriculture
- medicine, health and care
- paleoclimate, climate change, and climate crisis
- scientific knowledge and communication
- speculative botany
- technology and the digital age
- the globalisation of plants
- theology, religions and spiritualities
- traditional botanical knowledge
Articles should be original, unpublished, and not under consideration by another journal. The editors do encourage the submission of translations of articles previously published in languages other than English. Submissions should be between 6,000–10,000 words in length, including references. A summary of 100–150 words along with a list of 4–5 key words should be provided.
For more information or to discuss article ideas, please contact the Editor, Dr John C. Ryan, email@example.com and Deputy Editor, Dr Isis Brook, firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions opening: 1 May 2023
Submissions closing: 1 September 2023
Submissions guidelines: Coming soon
Editorial Board: www.whpress.co.uk/PP.html
ISSN: 2753-3603 (Online, Open Access)