OAH supplied Amplified Initiative Logo.
Banner image for H-Net hosted OAH Amplified Content.
Chair: Kathleen Franz, Smithsonian Institution
• Kathleen Franz, Smithsonian Institution
• Benjamin Alpers, University of Oklahoma
• Adrea Lawrence, University of Montana
• Caleb McDaniel, Rice University
• Sara Clark, Indiana University
Chair: Joshua Rothman
Panelists: Stephen Kantrowitz, Chandra Manning, Kate Masur, Manisha Sinha, and Kidada E. Williams
There has been a proliferation of new work on the movement to abolish slavery in the United States, the process of the emancipation of enslaved people, and the meaning of those changes through the Civil War and beyond. This panel brings together leading scholars to consider these new historiographies, their significance for understanding the history of the nineteenth century, and their lessons for our contemporary politics.