Indiana Humanities, with support from Hillenbrand, is pleased to announce the creation of a new speakers bureau featuring talks and presentations about the women’s suffrage movement and Indiana women’s involvement in politics since 1920.
We seek proposals from scholars, experts and trailblazers to join the speakers bureau and give talks during in 2020. Applications to join the bureau will be accepted through May 24, 2019.
WHAT KINDS OF TALKS ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The typical speaker engagement is 60-90 minutes with time for questions and conversation with the audience. Presentations can be geared towards adults, teen or youth audiences. We’re open to traditional talks as well as proposals that take the typical scholar talk and flip it on its head, i.e.,creative writing or performance workshops or text-centered conversations. The talk should be rooted in quality humanities and/or social science research.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The ideal scholar-facilitator:
- Shares Indiana Humanities’ vision for open-ended, non-partisan and thoughtful discussion about history and its implications today.
- Is enthusiastic about sharing the insights of the humanities with ordinary Hoosiers.
- Is not afraid to tackle difficult topics and help communities ask hard questions.
- Is open to learning new techniques and best practices for giving talks and leading public humanities programs.
- Has advanced training, such as an M.A. or Ph.D., in a humanities or humanistic social science field, including but not limited to literature, history, cultural studies, philosophy, media studies, art history or religious studies.
- Responds to email communication in a timely manner.
To apply, fill out the online form. The online form can be found at: https://bit.ly/2EVAN46. At the time of your application, you’ll be asked to provide:
- Talk title, description and essential question
- One speaking reference
- Short reflections on why your talk is important to include in the bureau, why you want to join the bureau, and your relevant expertise.
Applicants will be notified by June 14th if selected to be part of the speakers bureau. Applications to book a speaker will open in the fall and speaking engagements will begin in January 2020 and continue through the end of 2020.
Contact Jackie Swihart at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, see www.IndianaSuffrage100.org under "Resources"