Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Humanities and Media Studies Chairperson
The School of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Pratt Institute invites applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Humanities and Media Studies. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader as well as an established scholar and/or creative practitioner; they will have considerable administrative experience and will have earned the rank of associate or full professor with tenure. Reporting to the Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Chair advises a diverse group of faculty in the development of the curriculum and oversees day-to-day operations of a vibrant, collegial, and multidisciplinary department of 20 full-time and more than 50 part-time faculty.
The Department of Humanities and Media Studies (HMS) is an innovative and multidisciplinary department. with graduate programs in Media Studies (M.A.) and Performance and Performance Studies (M.F.A.). At the undergraduate level, the department offers a core curriculum of required courses in the humanities to the entire Institute, and minors in Literature and Writing, Cinema Studies, Media Studies, and Performance and Performance Studies. The department also offers elective courses and courses for Institute-wide minors in The Book, Black Studies, and Social Justice and Social Practice. The department is known for an extensive range of innovative studio writing courses and writing workshops, working across the disciplines of an art and design school, and is further distinguished by a program in Architecture Writing that integrates and cross-links courses in the humanities and architecture.
The Department Chair will mentor and oversee a faculty drawn to Pratt by the opportunity to work in the multidisciplinary environment of a top-rated and internationally recognized school of art, design, architecture and information, and to teach students who are highly creative and academically prepared. The chair will embrace the department’s intellectual and creative mission of engagement in socially informed humanities as well as its multidisciplinary approach to scholarship and creative practice, both in themselves and in their co-evolution with each other and with their art and design school environment.
Located on Pratt’s historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students, and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
• Encourage and advance a vision for the Department
• Supervise Assistant Chair and Assistant to the Chair
• Appoint and direct program coordinators supporting academic degree programs
• Oversee teaching assignments and course scheduling
• Oversee faculty recruitment, evaluation, and development
• Convene departmental faculty meetings
• Oversee curriculum development and revision
• Administer the department’s budget
• Advance collaboration between HMS and other SLAS departments
• Participate in divisional and Institute committees as assigned by Dean
• Carry out special projects and assume other related duties as required
A Ph.D. or M.F.A in a relevant discipline is required.
Applicants must have a minimum of 7+ years college-level teaching experience in a relevant discipline and must have earned tenure and be at the rank of Associate or Full Professor. The candidate must have a record of scholarly and/or creative accomplishments and at least two years of administrative experience, preferably at or commensurate with the chair level.
- Strong administrative, communication, and interpersonal skills, and the capability to work in a dynamic environment in which collaboration across academic departments and Schools, as well as across Institute offices, is required.
- The ability to balance the day-to-day administrative duties of the position with the intellectual and creative challenge of leading faculty, coordinating the work of curriculum development, and furthering the strategic vision of the department.
- Experience working with a unionized faculty is a plus.
SALARY is commensurate with education and experience.
Review of applications to begin February 7th and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please submit the following materials via our applicant site at: apply.interfolio.com/99906
- A curriculum vitae.
- A cover letter
- A statement of interest (not to exceed 2 pages) explaining your interest in the position and how you approach academic administration.
- A 1 to 2-page statement outlining how you have worked promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in your career and how you plan on continuing to do so here at Pratt.
- The names and contact information of three references. This information must be provided at the time of application; however, nominees will not be contacted without notifying the applicant in advance.
Please submit all materials via our applicant site at: apply.interfolio.com/99906
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
To submit YOUR job posting, please visit the H-Net Job Guide: https://www.h-net.org/jobs
Featured jobs receive an added boost on H-Announce and H-Net’s social media channels.
Please apply at apply.interfolio.com/99906