CfA: Master's in Transcultural Studies (Heidelberg University)

Takuma Melber's picture

Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.

Call for Papers
January 1, 2021 to June 15, 2021
Subject Fields: 
Art, Art History & Visual Studies, Asian History / Studies, Cultural History / Studies, East Asian History / Studies, Intellectual History

Call for applications for the Master’s in Transcultural Studies


Heidelberg University welcomes applications for its two-year Master’s Programme in Transcultural Studies, in which students from around the globe can explore the dynamics of cultural exchanges working across disciplinary and national boundaries. The emphasis lies on Asia, predominantly East and South Asia, and Europe.


The MA in Transcultural Studies is a research-oriented, interdisciplinary programme in the humanities and social sciences with a transregional focus. It offers a wide range of courses within an international research environment and is taught in English. Students are trained in transcultural theories and methods as well as in the study of cross-cultural exchanges in past and present, specifically between Asia and Europe. They specialize in one of three study foci: “Society, Economy, and Governance”; “Visual, Media and Material Culture”; or “Knowledge, Belief, and Religion.” Students will learn to critically evaluate research tools and methodologies from different disciplines in order to build a set of methods and theories framed according to their specific research question and material.


Students are encouraged to spend their third semester abroad on study exchange or conducting a research-oriented internship. They can benefit from partnerships with Tokyo University, Kyoto University, Seoul National University, and Yale University that also include funding opportunities. A study exchange to other Asian and European countries is also possible.


The MA in Transcultural Studies additionally provides an option to earn a Joint Degree Master’s Certificate with its partner Kyoto University (Graduate School of Letters) in Transcultural Studies. Students can apply for the Joint Degree version (Heidelberg/Kyoto) only after admission to and enrollment in the regular Master’s in Transcultural Studies Programme at the end of the regular MA in Transcultural Studies Programme’s first semester.


Applicants must hold a BA or equivalent (minimum three years of study) in a discipline of the humanities or social sciences with an above-average grade. Furthermore, proficiency in English and two more languages is required.


The application deadline for international students for the winter semester 2021/22 is June 15, 2021.


For more information about the programme, the application requirements, and process please visit or contact us via email to


Best regards,

Takuma Melber

Contact Info: 

Dr. Takuma Melber

Coordinator of the Master’s in Transcultural Studies Programme

Heidelberg Centre for Transcultural Studies | HCTS

Karl Jaspers Centre

Voßstr. 2 | Building 4400 | Room 400.02.22

69115 Heidelberg