Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
U.S. and World History (Ancient and Modern) Teacher
Kehillah Jewish High School, History
We are looking for a History teacher who is a leading practitioner, thinker, and innovator. Someone who is a dedicated educator with mastery in U.S. and World History (Ancient and Modern) and able to teach across the spectrum of high school History curriculum.
Kehillah is a supportive teaching environment that embraces collaboration, outside-the-box thinking, and innovative pedagogy. We are a community that fosters a culture of mutual respect, diversity, and inclusion. You’ll be in good company with educators who are published authors, scientists, artists, photographers, comedians, activists, actors, renowned scholars, patent holders - people who speak multiple languages, celebrate a slew of holidays/traditions, and embed themselves in the culture and diversity of the Silicon Valley. We are family people, single people, quiet people, social people, happy people, funny people. You’ll find colleagues here who will encourage you to find your strengths, grow, and who will always care. Somewhere you can not only teach but also flourish as an educator. The classroom experience at Kehillah includes debate, dialogue, critical inquiry, and experimentation bringing every class to life. Each student is challenged, actively encouraged, and supported to reach their potential.
If you want to join a community of passionate educators who empower students with the wisdom of Jewish values and strength to flourish in a rapidly changing world, we would love to meet you. This full-time position may include leadership of the department and begins on August 1, 2020.
- Prepare lesson plans with clear objectives that facilitate active learning; assign and evaluate classwork and exams to students; prepare required reports and communicate progress to parents and colleagues.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and materials with Dean; develop scope and sequence.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction; adapt new technology and teaching strategies to encourage the progress of individual students.
- Maintain and post accurate and timely student attendance, grades, and other required records on PowerSchool/Schoology.
- Attend and contribute to Department, Staff, Learning Center, Parent, and SST meetings (formal and informal), as directed by the Dean, Assistant Principal, and/or Principal.
- Join the Student Confidential Learning Plan as needed; set notifications, implement, and actively participate.
- Use effective classroom management techniques in accordance with the policies of the school.
- Provide timely and tactful feedback with parents regarding student progress including quarter and semester comment writing; make phone calls home for students of concern.
- Attend and participate in weekly school programs, Seminar, departmental initiatives; support extracurricular student activities, clubs, and organizations; available to work occasional overnight class trips.
- Actively engage in year-long Professional Growth Plan (PGP) and meet all benchmarks.
- Write letters of recommendation, as needed.
- Assess supplies needed for curriculum execution, request orders in a timely fashion.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students; be flexible if sharing a classroom.
- Advisory Role: Implement curriculum, be familiar with advisees’ accommodations, actively partner with Learning Center and teachers, meet with Advisees regularly, check grades; timely communicate concerns and progress; supervise and remain with students in a school emergency (i.e., earthquake, fire, etc.).
- Set up clear roles, responsibilities, and expectations.
- Effectively communicate mission and goals for the organization.
- Build and guide the department to achieve the desired results.
- Assign job tasks based on skills and workloads.
- Model integrity and a strong work ethic.
- Create a safe and supportive work environment.
- Guide department members to pursue professional development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Clear commitment to the educational philosophy as articulated by Our Four Commitments.
- Experienced teaching students from diverse backgrounds and supporting neurodiversity in order to provide students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- Proficient at competently assessing student performances and preparing comprehensive assessments for the student, parents, and school administrators.
- Experienced implementing positive classroom management techniques, innovative methodologies, and activities that foster active learning and enhance academic programs.
- Willing to collaborate with student learning services to differentiate instruction for all learners.
- Show a high level of professionalism and willingness to “go the extra mile” to reach goals for students.
- Demonstrate knowledge, implementation, and adaptability regarding relevant technology.
- Able to apply common sense and extreme diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality in written and oral forms.
- Embody exceptional people skills in phone and email etiquette; promptly respond to questions or concerns of parents and co-workers while maintaining a positive, pleasant demeanor.
- Actively pursue professional development throughout the year improving skill and knowledge-base in current trends, research and methodology in instructional techniques, technology, multicultural content, problem-solving and interdisciplinary connections.
- Demonstrate excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Passionate about supporting equal access to learning in a diverse community; customer-focused.
- Perform with integrity, ethics, values, beliefs, and principles during both good and bad times.
- Remain calm, maintain perspective, and respond in a professional manner when faced with tough situations.
- Take personal responsibility for the continuous learning of new knowledge, skills, and experiences.
- Successfully function during times of ambiguity and changing priorities; lead with creative problem resolution skills.
- Make timely and quality decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with other individuals and teams.
- Results-oriented and goal-focused.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution; Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum of three years as a lead U.S. and World History teacher in a high school setting.
- Experienced in best practices in education and pedagogy.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to:
- Effectively communicate with school population and community members.
- Work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Work with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and diverse contacts which may at times be stressful.
- Work in a traditional climate-controlled environment and occasionally outdoors.
- Able to occasionally lift up to 15 lbs.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to operate all office equipment including but not limited to computers, copy machines, and telephones.
- Travel safely and comfortably across a two-story, 50,000 sq. ft. campus several times in a workday.
- Sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, bending at the waist and kneeling or crouching to retrieve books from cabinets and shelves.
- View and operate a computer frequently and consistently, in regards to primary work functions.
- Able to travel overnight on school trips.
To submit YOUR job posting, please visit the H-Net Job Guide: https://www.h-net.org/jobs
Featured jobs receive an added boost on H-Announce and H-Net’s social media channels.
Please apply directly online