Present Your Research: JHistory Salon Friday June 2 at 2 PM EDT via Zoom
You are invited to present your research at the JHistory Salon this Friday June 2 at 2 PM.
The JHistory Salon is a small group of scholars from different stages in their careers from emeritus faculty to grad students interested in journalism, media and communciation history who meet on the first friday of every month during the academic year. Generally between 10 and 20 people attend. All meetings are via Zoom. Emaill Elliot King (email@example.com) for the Zoom link.
The topic for this months's meeting is “Outside the Conferences.” People are invited to talk about research they may be or would like to be presenting at the AEJ conference or the AJHA conference or reprise what they presented at the JJCHC conference. Or research for which they are still looking for a home (either publication or presentation.) Or, about work that they did not quite get finished in time for to submit to a conference; or research they submitted that that was not accepted but they still think is good (personally I have a lot of research in that group so personally I am particularly interested in that.)
The idea is for presenters to talk for around ten minutes (depending on how many volunteers we get) and then get some friendly feedback. The slots will be allotted on a first come/first serve basis. It is very informal. Slides not required but if you have slides, that’s good too.
If you have something you would like to present, please let me know the topic (firstname.lastname@example.org). And once again, email me for the Zoom link to attend.
To create a salon-like atmosphere, we also provide a cocktail recipe for the meeting. After all, it is 5 o'clock somewhere. We have taken to asking ChatGPT to make a cocktail suggestion and the suggestion this month is a classic Mojito. The recipe is below. I encourage you to present (even if you have not attended a Salon before) and attend. Hope to see you Friday.
Classic Mojito recipe:
- 2 oz white rum
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup (or 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar)
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- Soda water
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedges and additional mint leaves for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint leaves with the lime juice and simple syrup (or sugar) until the leaves release their aroma.
- Add the rum to the shaker and fill it with ice cubes.
- Shake well to combine all the ingredients.
- Strain the mixture into a highball glass filled with fresh ice cubes.
- Top the glass with soda water, leaving some space at the top.
- Gently stir the drink to incorporate the soda water.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and a sprig of fresh mint leaves.
- Serve and enjoy your refreshing June Mojito!
Remember, you can adjust the amount of lime juice and simple syrup according to your taste preferences. Cheers!