deadline for submissions:
October 1, 2021
full name / name of organization:
Steve Choe (Associate Professor of Critical Studies, School of Cinema at San Francisco State University) is seeking expressions of interest to contribute essays for a Handbook on the topic of violence in film and media. The volume will be published by Palgrave Macmillian.
The Handbook will consist of 20 to 25 chapters of between 6000 and 8000 words each. All contributions must be in the English language. The Handbook aims to function as a reference work for scholars and students in film and media studies. Contributions should present original research and thinking that result in broad claims about violence in film and media.
We are especially interested in contributions that address the problem of violence in the context of digital media.
The Handbook will be provisionally organized in five sections: Histories, Approaches, Aesthetics, Politics and Ethics, Media.
Possible topics may include:
- Violence and genre
- Violence and film/media aesthetics
- Violence and theories of spectatorship
- Representations of violence and questions of identity
- Violence in art cinema
- New thinking on trauma in film and media
- Recent sociological research on the effects of representations of violence on viewers
- Violent current events in the media
- Neuroscience and violent media
- Phenomenology of violent media
- Acts of violence during film and media exhibitions
- Media and theories of violence (Sorel, Girard, Benjamin, etc.)
- Media technologies and violence
- Violence and media archaeology
- Violence in the history of film and media theory
- Theories of justice and violence in film and media
- Claims of non-violence in film and media
- Violence and video games
Please send all expressions of interest to email@example.com. The deadline for full submissions is October 1, 2021.