CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Popular Music Study Group of the American Musicological Society
Case Western Reserve University
2018 Junior Faculty Symposium
Location: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
June 5– 7, 2018
Application Deadline: February 15, 2018
The Popular Music Study Group of the American Musicological Society, in collaboration with the Center for Popular Music Studies at Case Western Reserve University, will host its 3rd biennial developmental symposium for early-career popular music scholars in June 2018. We welcome applications from junior and part-time faculty, recent PhD graduates, and ABD candidates. This symposium is designed to help early-career scholarswith:
• Research, writing, and publishing;
• Networking with scholars outside your institution;
• Establishing effective collegial relationships within your institution;
• Navigating promotion and tenure processes; and
• Dealing with pedagogical challenges.
A substantial part of the program will include work-shopping a journal article or book chapter with two senior scholars and other symposium participants. The remainder of the symposium is dedicated to breakout and one-on-one sessions on teaching, success in the workplace, and job search strategies. There will also be ample social time for networking and the informal exchange of ideas.
To be considered for this symposium, applicants should submit the following to Albin Zak (email@example.com),Chair of AMS-PMSG, no later than February 15, 2018:
• A Current CV
• A brief letter explaining how this symposium might benefit your career
• A 10-15-page excerpt of a not-yet-published article or book chapter for the workshop
Applicants do not need to be current members of the AMS-Popular Music Study Group.
The registration fee of $75 covers on-campus housing for Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Participants will be expected to cover their own meals and travel to the conference.