Call for Applications: Open Research Laboratory at Illinois
The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center and the Slavic Reference Service at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are pleased to announce a call for applications to the Spring 2022 Open Research Laboratory (ORL) Program. The program will take place January 18 - May 4, 2022. Funded in part by the U.S. Department of State's Title VIII Program, the ORL Program provides research support for graduate and post-graduate level research on Central and East Europe and the Independent States of the former Soviet Union.
We will provide support for both in-person and virtual associateships for scholars to conduct short-term research concerning all aspects of Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
The program is open to a wide range of researchers, including advanced graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, faculty, independent scholars, professionals in government and nongovernmental organizations as well as library science.
The priority application deadline is December 3, 2021.
Those applicants who are U.S. citizens and whose research holds relevance for U.S. foreign policy may also apply for U.S. Department of State Title VIII grants to support their research.
Awarded on a competitive basis, ORL support will include:
- Designation as a REEEC Open Research Laboratory Associate.
- A personalized bibliographical session with the Slavic Reference Service either in-person or through Zoom
- Research support for general queries throughout the year.
- Access to digital and database collections of our Library for an extended period.
- A free of charge duplication service for University of Illinois Library materials, restricted to 20 pages per request and subject to copyright restrictions.
- US citizens are eligible for funding as an in-person associate or a virtual associate. An in-person associate is eligible for a research stipend of $1000 in support of their work, a housing award furnishing accommodation on campus for up to 5 nights, and a travel award of up to $600 to offset transportation costs to and from Urbana-Champaign. A virtual associate is eligible for a research stipend of $500 in support of their work.
For more information and to apply, please click here.