CALL FOR PROPOSALS for the ACASA-sponsored session
CAA 2023 Annual Conference
NEW YORK CITY, FEBRUARY 15–18, 2023
(Conference format to be determined)
DEADLINE (to send proposals to ACASA board): May 5th, 2022
Please send proposals electronically to CAA Liaison, Bukky Gbadegesin: firstname.lastname@example.org
As an Affiliated Society, ACASA sponsors one guaranteed session at the annual meeting of the College Art Association. We invite proposals for sessions in all areas of the study of the arts of Africa, and we welcome submissions from professionals and scholars at all stages of their careers. The Annual Conference Committee looks for sessions that cover the breadth of current thought and research in art, art and architectural history, theory and criticism, pedagogical issues, museum and curatorial practice, conservation, and technology.
To submit a proposal to be considered as the ACASA-sponsored session, individuals do not need to be current CAA members. Eventually, please note that all participants and chairs of the selected session will need to be CAA members and register for the conference. The online registration schedule for the CAA 2023 Annual Conference will be announced shortly.
ACASA will sponsor either:
1) a Complete Session proposal (pre-formed with participants and papers/projects chosen in advance)
The Complete Session option allows a submission for a complete panel pre-formed with participants and papers/projects chosen in advance by session chairs. This session requires advance planning and information gathering by the chair(s). A panel may include a chair, no more than four paper presenters, and can include a discussant. A complete session proposal consists of a) the panel title and abstract (<250 words); b) CV of the chair (and co-chair, if relevant); c) names, email address, phone number, and institutional affiliation of each participant on the panel; d) paper titles and an abstract (<250 words) for all the papers. The panel abstract should consist of a statement about the topic and a brief summary of the main argument(s) to be explored (no more than 250 words).
or, 2) a Session Soliciting Contributors proposal.
The Session Soliciting Contributors option allows a submission for a full session with yet-to-be identified speakers and papers/projects. If selected by ACASA, such sessions will be included in the call for participation (CFP) which opens on July 21, 2022.
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The following guidelines will help prospective participants complete their proposal:
• All sessions will be 90 minutes in length. Please plan accordingly.
• In order to submit a proposal to ACASA for consideration, individuals do not need to be current CAA members. However, all participants of the selected ACASA-Sponsored session will need to be current members to finalize the session submission with CAA by May 10, 2022
• The accuracy of information entered into the proposal form (e.g. spelling of names, affiliations, titles) is important, as it will be pulled directly from this database for conference publications such as Abstracts 2023 and on the conference website.
• The quality of the panel abstracts is the main criterion for acceptance; a panel with a weak abstract or with two or more weak paper abstracts is unlikely to be accepted. The submission process must be completed online through the CAA website.
• Online registration for CAA 111th Annual Conference will be announced shortly.
• May 5, 2022 – Submit proposals for Complete or Session Soliciting Contributors to CAA Liaison, email@example.com.
• May 6 – Selected ACASA-sponsored session will be notified.
• May 10 – Deadline to submit the selected ACASA-sponsored session to the CAA submissions portal.
• TBA – Online conference registration opens.
The CAA call for proposals is accessible at: http://www.collegeart.org/proposals/