We are pleased to announce the call for nominations for the 2020 AMECYS Book Award!!!!!! Please see below and circulate widely:
The Association for Middle East Children and Youth Studies Association
invites nominations for the 2020 AMECYS Book Award
The AMECYS is a private, non-profit, international association for scholars with an interest in the study of children and youth in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities. Through interdisciplinary programs, publications, and services, AMECYS promotes innovative scholarship, facilitates global academic exchange, and enhances public understanding about Middle Eastern children and youth in diverse times and places.
The AMECYS Book Award was established in 2019 to recognize an outstanding contribution on the study of children and youth in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities.
Nominations for the award can be made by either the publisher or the author. There is no limit on the number of titles that authors or publishers may submit, given they meet the following criteria:
1. Books must be non-fiction, scholarly monographs based on original research and published in English.
2. Books must have been published in the last three years (copyright date of 2017, 2018, 2019).
3. The authors of the books need to be AMECYS members in good standing.
4. The subject matter must deal with the study of children and youth – broadly defined – in the Middle East, North Africa and their diasporic communities.
5. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, fiction, translated books, and surveys.
6. Nominations must be made by June 30, 2020 for books to be eligible for the competition.
The author of the AMECYS Award will receive $300 and a certificate of award. In the event of co-winners, prize money will be divided evenly among the winners. Honorable mentions also receive a certificate of award. Winners will be announced at the AMECYS Member Meeting at the 54th MESA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC. The results will also be posted on the AMECYS and MESA website and in other publications as deemed appropriate by AMECYS.
One hard copy of the nominated book should be mailed to each the three reviewers listed below, along with the address, phone number, and e-mail of the author. Acknowledgment of receipt will be made via e-mail.
*** No additional materials will be considered as part of the submission.
Department of History, University of Glasgow
52 Airlie Street Flat 2/1
Glasgow G12 9SN
Department of Social Anthropology, Stockholm University
Department of Social Anthropology
106 91 Stockholm
Department of History, University of North Texas
3520 Meadowtrail Lane
Denton, TX 76207 USA