Full details of this position are available on the H-Net Job Guide at the following link: https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=56404
The Institute of Southeast Asian Studies is a regional research centre dedicated to the study of socio-political, security and economic trends and developments in Southeast Asia and its wider geostrategic and economic environment.
The ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute (formerly Institute of Southeast Asian Studies) invites applications for Visiting Fellowships in Indonesia Studies.
Preference will be given to candidates who have done or can work on projects associated with one or more of the following themes:
- The dynamics of Indonesian domestic politics and elections
- The evolving role of the military in post-1998 Indonesia
- Urbanization, decentralization and socio-political change in Indonesia
- The application of quantitative analysis and/or Geographic Information System to the study of social trends in Southeast Asia
- Applicants must have received their Ph.D. degree no earlier than 1 August 2013, in any area of the humanities or social sciences (especially economics, political science/government, sociology, anthropology, geography and urban studies). The successful applicant is expected to start no later than 2 January 2019 and must have completed all requirements for the Ph.D. degree at the point of employment.
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is preferred, along with good communications, networking and interpersonal skills.
Depending on the expertise of the candidate, he or she will be conducting one or two projects related to the themes listed above. Visiting Fellows are also expected to contribute to ISEAS in the following ways:
- Monitor economic, political and/or social cultural trends in Indonesia/Southeast Asia.
- Write for a range of ISEAS publishing outlets such as ISEAS e-publications, Working Papers, academic journals and books.
- Contribute to ISEAS collective research efforts.
- An all-inclusive and fixed monthly stipend commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- A monthly housing subsidy (applicable to non-Singaporeans only).
- Term of each fellowship is one year, with possible extension for another year.
Please submit one original and one copy of a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover letter (1 page)
- Research Statement (elaborating on what you think are the key questions to be examined in Indonesia for the next 2-3 years; 300-500 words)
- Research Plan (for one or two projects; each plan should address the research question, methodology and timeline; 3 pages each, double-spaced)
- Dissertation abstract and table of contents
- Curriculum vitae
- Official transcript of grades and certified copy of Ph.D. degree (if degree is not in hand at time of application, a letter is needed from the thesis supervisor stating the expected date of completion)
- Two letters of recommendation (sealed and signed; original copy only)
Enquiries: Please contact Senior Manager, Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please send application package by 30 March 2018 to:
Senior Manager (HR)
ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute
30 Heng Mui Keng Terrace
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified.)