Please see the H-Net Job Guide posting for full details here: https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=64069
The Department of Southeast Asian Studies at the National University of Singapore seeks to fill a tenure-track position in Southeast Asian Contemporary History. The appointment is at the level of Assistant Professor. The Department is particularly interested in recruiting a scholar who will enjoy the opportunity of working in an area studies department.
The Department seeks applications from scholars who specialize in some of the following fields pertaining to the political history of Southeast Asia: anti-colonial and revolutionary movements; communism as ideology and praxis; politics and religion, especially Islam; nation-building projects. We are particularly interested in scholars whose work bridges domestic and international political movements, both before and after independence. The geographical focus of the position is Maritime Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore).
The successful applicant will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in their area(s) of specialization, as well as in some of the following areas: nationalism, regionalism, race and religion, and textual/visual/literary analysis (pertaining to historical research).
Candidates should have expertise in Southeast Asian languages relevant to their research.
The successful applicant will be expected to take up the position by July 2023.
Interested applicants should submit an application dossier consisting of the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how your qualifications and plans fit into the long-term development and enhancement of the Department of Southeast Asian Studies (maximum 2 pages)
- Up to date Curriculum vitae
- Concise statement of your research trajectory thus far and publication plans (1-2 pages)
- Concise statement of your teaching experience, including in the field of Southeast Asian Studies (if any), as well as possible courses you are able to offer to raise the profile of the department (1-2 pages)
- Concise statement describing your personal qualities and experience in collaborative and leadership roles in academic projects and community engagements (1-2 pages)
- A list of three referees (names, contact details and applicant’s relationship to them; only short-listed applicants will be invited to submit reference letters)
Candidates should submit all application materials online via the NUS Careers Portal and addressed to:Chair, Search CommitteeDepartment of Southeast Asian StudiesFaculty of Arts and Social SciencesNational University of Singapore
Candidates should submit all application materials by 31 October 2022. We will begin evaluating candidates immediately, but the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.