New Publication: "A Century of Gender Equality Struggles in Turkey. Feminist History Revisited
On the occasion of the centenary of the Republic of Turkey, my colleague Selin Çağatay and I have undertaken a remarkable project for feminist historiography. We have compiled a collection of insightful articles that shed light on the rich history of the women's movement in Turkey, both past and present. We are pleased to announce the publication of this compilation as a special issue of the peer-reviewed Diyâr Journal for Ottoman, Turkish, and Middle Eastern Studies entitled "A Century of Gender Equality Struggles in Turkey: Revisiting the Path of Feminist History".
The publication is the result of the SNSF scientific exchange and University of Bern funded international conference "A Century of Gender Equality Struggles in Turkey", which took place at ETH Zurich in July 2022.
If you are interested in this topic, I am happy to provide personal copies and relevant contact information of individual authors.
Articles of the special issue:
- Elife Biçer-Deveci, Selin Çağatay: Reimagining Gender Equality Struggles towards a More Inclusive History, pp. 5-19
- Sevil Çakır Kılınçoğlu: Reconceptualizing Women’s Agency in Iran and Turkey at the Turn of the 20th Century, p. 20-45
- Ezgi Sarıtaş, Yelda Şahin Akıllı: Rethinking the ‘Barren’ Decades of Women’s Movement in Turkey, pp. 46-71
- Sercan Çınar: A Transnational History of Left Feminism in Turkey (1974–1979), pp. 72-99
- Merve Akyel: Caring Kind: Exploring Gender-based Violence Through Artworks by Women from or based in Turkey between 1980-2020, pp. 100-122
- Aslı Karaca: From Molar to Molecular Politics in Women’s Islamic Movements in Turkey: ´Women who Get Together´to Defend the Rights of ´Others´ (2003-2013), pp. 123-154
- Elif Akşit: Women’s History at Crossroads: Quantification of Qualitative Data and Literary Analysis, Gender Equality, and Space in Battal Ghazi Texts, pp. 155-172.
Dr. Elife Biçer-Deveci (email@example.com)