Your network editor has reposted this from H-Announce. The byline reflects the original authorship.
Call for Submissions
The 2018 SNELL PRIZE IN EUROPEAN HISTORY
The European History Section of the Southern Historical Association
Deadline: August 1, 2018
The John L. Snell Memorial Prize is named for Professor John L. Snell (1923-1972), who was a distinguished scholar and diplomatic historian and a founder of the European History Section. A bomber pilot during World War II, Snell taught at Tulane University, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he received his Ph.D. in 1950.
The Snell Prize is given annually to the graduate student who submits the best seminar research paper in European history, written within the past year. “European” is defined as encompassing the entire continent, including Russia, from pre-history to the present.
The Prize winner will be honored at the annual lunch meeting of the Section in conjunction with the Southern Historical Association meeting in Birmingham, Alabama in November 2018. The award carries a stipend of $250. The Snell Award winner also receives one complimentary year of student membership in the European History Section of the Southern Historical Association.
The competition is open to graduate students of any member of the European History Section or of a program at a Southern college or university.
All papers must meet the following criteria:
- Students may submit only one paper.
- Only papers written during the academic year immediately preceding the granting of the award, including summer 2018, are acceptable.
- The content of the paper must focus on European history (“European” is defined as encompassing the entire continent, including Russia, from pre-history to the present).
- A letter of endorsement from the supervising faculty member or adviser must accompany the submission. The letter should confirm that paper was written during the academic year immediately preceding the granting of the award, including summer 2018.
- The competition is open only to seminar papers, the length of which shall not exceed 50 pages, including footnotes or endnotes (the bibliography does not count toward this limit).
- While seminar papers may be related to prospective theses or dissertations, they may not be edited-down versions of completed theses or dissertations.
- Manuscripts must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced with 1-inch margins on all sides, and include a bibliography and the customary documentation.
The paper must be sent to each of the following three judges by August 1, 2018. Electronic submissions are preferred.
Dr. Christopher Ward Dr. Thomas J. McSweeney Dr. Erica Johnson
Snell Prize Committee Chair College of William & Mary Law School Department of History
Department of Humanities PO Box 8795 Francis Marion University
Clayton State University Williamsburg, VA 23187 PO Box 100547
2000 Clayton State Boulevard firstname.lastname@example.org Florence, SC 29502
Morrow, GA 30260 email@example.com
Dr. Christopher Ward
Snell Prize Committee Chair
Department of Humanities
Clayton State University
2000 Clayton State Boulevard
Morrow, GA 30260