Nancy Condee, Alexander Prokhorov, and Elena Prokhorova, editors of the recently published Cinemasaurus: Russian Film in Contemporary Context, have created two sample syllabi using the book to teach courses on recent Russian cinema.
An undergraduate-level syllabus is available here: https://www.academicstudiespress.com/cinemasaurus-undergraduate-syllabus
A graduate-level syllabus is available here: https://www.academicstudiespress.com/cinemasaurus-graduate-syllabus
The book includes interviews with major media figures such as producer Alexander Rodnyansky (Leviathan, Elena) and Festival Artistic Director Sitora Alieva (Kinotavr Film Festival). The twelve contributors are recent (and current) PhD Russian film students, with framing essays by more established colleagues. The volume is unusual because it is closely tied to the film industry itself.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations
Stephen M. Norris
Note on Transliteration and Translations
Nancy Condee, Alexander Prokhorov, and Elena Prokhorova
Part One. Borders of Imperial Desire
1. Imperial Fatigue: Somnambulants, Ghosts, and Monsters
2. Empire Reloaded: Sacred Power in a Postmodern Era
3. Russia’s Quiet Other: Dmitrii Mamuliia’s Another Sky and Aleksandr Kott’s The Test
Part Two. Hilarity and Horror
Alexander Prokhorov and Elena Prokhorova
4. Laughing Apocalypse: Horror and/as Comedy
5. Eccentricity, Theatricality, and the Grotesque
6. Privatized Violence in the New Russian Cinema
Part Three. Evropsk or Russia?
7. Fragments of Empire: The Heartland in Post-Soviet Film
8. Russia on the Margins?
9. Contending Alterities: Drag Show, Roma Camp . . .
Part Four. The Ideological Occult
10. Past, Present, and Posthumous Fathers: Cinepaternity Reloaded
11. New Auteurism: The Case of Mikhalkov and Bekmambetov
12. Elki: The Most Profitable Franchise of the Putin Era
Part Five. Interviews
13. The Mediascape: Alexander Rodnyansky (CEO, AR Films, Non-Stop Production)
14. The Festival: Sitora Alieva (Program Director, Kinotavr)
15. The Exhibition Space: Paul Heth (CEO, Rising Star Media; Karo Film Holding)
16. The Film Journal: Birgit Beumers (KinoKultura, UK)
17. The Film Symposium: Vladimir Padunov (Russian Film Symposium, US)
Notes on the Contributors
For information on the book, see here: https://www.academicstudiespress.com/filmandmediastudies/cinemasaurus-russian-film-in-contemporary-context