For over forty years, the Summer Research Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has provided scholars from around the world with the opportunity to work in our Library's famous collections in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
We are pleased to announce that we will be holding the Summer Research Laboratory again this year, from June 11 to August 3, 2018.
About the Program
With hundreds of thousands of volumes in Russian, East European, and Eurasian languages, alongside extensive microfilm collections of rare and archival materials, the University Library at Illinois ranks among the best research collections in the world. Our Research Laboratory programs provide scholars with the opportunity to work extensively with these resources, at any stage of their work. Many important books and articles have been written in our collections over the years. Graduate students find a trip to Illinois an excellent way to plan their research and begin work on their dissertations.
The Summer Research Lab offers scholars the following opportunities:
* Full access to our Library and its physical and electronic collections.
* One on one research consultations with the experienced bibliographers of our Slavic Reference Service.
* Access to scholarly programming and discussion groups on our campus throughout their stay, to help them meet other scholars and learn about new research in progress.
Graduate students, academics, independent scholars, librarians, and government employees are encouraged to apply.
The program offers some financial aid in the form of housing and travel stipends. They are made possible by a generous grant from the U.S. Department of State's Title VIII Grant Program. These stipends are available only to U.S. citizens, and are intended to support projects that are relevant to contemporary policy questions. We consider the humanities relevant to US foreign policy and welcome applications from humanistic fields. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
The Summer Research Laboratory
The SRL is open to all scholars with research interests in Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies for eight weeks this summer, from June 11 until August 3, 2018. Each year, during the SRL, we host research workshops and training sessions that may be of interest to visitors: please see here for details. This summer, we are hosting the following workshops (please click on the links for more information):
* The Eurasian Migration System: A Sponsored Summer Workshop for Researchers
* Association for Women in Slavic Studies (AWSS) Workshop on Gender and Women in Russia’s Great War and Revolution, 1914-1922
* Ralph T. Fisher Workshop: The Caucasus and Central Asia in Conversation: The Importance of Stories and Archives from the Soviet and Post-Soviet Periphery
Scholars participating in the Summer Research Laboratory may apply for:
* up to 12 days of dormitory housing on campus;
* travel grants of up to $500 in support of their trip to Urbana-Champaign.
* very generous research stipends
Applications are now open, with the deadline for grant funding being March 15, 2018. REEEC will continue to accept applications for the Summer Research Lab after the grant deadline, but they will be at a lower priority for housing and travel funds.
For further information, please see:
University of Illinois Library: https://www.library.illinois.edu/
University of Illinois: http://illinois.edu/
Visit Champaign County: http://www.visitchampaigncounty.org/