The Georgia A. Nugent Improvement Club of Louisville was organized September 25, 1896, as the Louisville Woman’s Improvement Club after a visit to Louisville by the investigative journalist and suffragist Ida B. Wells-Barnett of Chicago. Charter members of the club included Mary V. Cook, Georgia A. Nugent and Mamie E. Steward – and they elected Fannie B. Williams president. The women in this 1945 photo are listed as follows:
Seated: Mrs. Mary V. Parrish, Mrs. Edwina McFarland, Mrs. Ella R. Robinson, Mrs. Carolyn S. Blanton, Mrs. Sarah Mayfield, Miss Alice E. Nugent, Mrs. Annie E. Jones, Mrs. Alice B. Crutcher, Mrs. Addie Barlow. Standing: Mrs. Virginia A. Smith, Miss Mary E. Merritt, Mrs. Cornelia Willis, Mrs. Ida Singleton, Mrs. Carrie Holden, Mrs. Alice E. McKinney, Mrs. Maudellen B. Lanier, Mrs. Florence Berry, Mrs. Marietta Williams, Mrs. Minnie B. Cooper, Mrs. M. Belle Offutt.
"The Georgia A. Nugent Improvement Club, Louisville, Kentucky" 32 in Pictorial Directory of the Kentucky Association of Colored Women. Compiled and Edited by Lucy Harth Smith. 1945. Image snipped from original posted online via ExploreUK: http://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7q2b8vbd51/data/0032/0032.pdf