This episode is about the scholarly obituary and presents two different approaches to the enterprise of reviewing a scholar's life. Tasked with "reviewing" the life of historian and his own mentor, Dr. Raymond A. Mohl, Robert interviews H-War editor David Silbey about his review of distinguished military historian John Keegan. Robert and Yelena then talk about some considerations, like what to include and the issue of objectivity. Links to the obituaries and interviews discussed are below.
- Alex Ronan, "The Art of the Obituary: An Interview with Margalit Fox," Paris Review, September 23, 2014.
- Link on the Paris Review website
- Longform Podcast #43 interview with Margalit Fox (link)
- David Silbey, "John Keegan, A Scholarly Obituary," The Chronicle Blog Network, August 6, 2012.
- Link on The Chronicle website
- Robert Cassanello's obituary of Ray Mohl in the Florida Historical Quarterly 93, no. 4 (Spring 2015).
- Link to a pdf on the Commons
And for those considering writing their own obituaries, here are some tips from the Rutgers Retired Faculty Association.
To receive updates about new episodes and join the discussion, subscribe to H-Podcast. Follow H-Net Reviews on Twitter: @HNet_Reviews or subscribe to the H-Reviews listserv to receive new reviews daily in your email in-box.
The Art of the Review is produced by Robert Cassanello and Yelena Kalinsky, and sponsored by H-Net: Humanities and Social Sciences Online and the University of Central Florida's Center for Humanities & Digital Research.